Backstory

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in the fall of 2008. It was caught early. Aggressive bilateral mastectomy was the choice. My concern was the lack of a cohesive focus to find a cure. I wanted a definitive course, I wanted strong leadership, I wanted to know the solution. So, I did what any normally crazy supportive co-survivor would do... enlisted for an ironman. Donation link is http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=296523&supID=249789425

Monday, August 17, 2009

Half-Ironman

Well, the 1/2 Ironman is behind. There were some successes and set-backs. Let's start with the set-backs because some of them were pretty funny (in hindsight). So, here it goes...

Up at 5am and out the door by 5:30am. All going well, but driving in the rain and very overcast, hoping it blows over. Pause for a moment and then grab 3-plastic bags to shove my gear in at the last minute... you never know.

6:05am arrive at the site and park in what will later become a mud-bog. But looks alls-well at this point, just a little damp.

6:30am, I am now body-marked and in the transition area staging my gear. The skies open up. I proceed to bust out my 3-bags for the gear... great idea.

7:00am, After a light bike warm-up, then wrestled into the wet-suit, head down for the briefing and swim. Rain is still coming down and no end in sight.

7:30am, Pros are already off and just starting my swim warm-up. Ate some gel, vanilla, tasty.

8:00am, Pros are exiting the water and I have yet to start. Getting in line for heading out. For those unaware, the pros start in waves, the rest go off in 3 second intervals. With 700 people, and my group last... i actually think I was 15 or 20th from last... it takes a while.

8:05am, in the water and on the way. it will be a long 41 minutes before I leave the water. Wind was gusting at 20-25mph creating 1 foot swells on the lake. Very annoying.

8:46am, 1.2 mile swim down, running up the beach head to go for the bike. Feeling good, get out of the wetsuit, put on the helmet, sunglasses (later stowed in my jersey, too dark to see), picked my bike off the rack and my water bottle holder (behind the seat 2-bottle model) falls to the ground. Frustration. They both contain water (the endurance drink is mounted on the frame bottle holder), so I grab one and stow it in my jersey (with the glasses). Begin to feel like a domestic in the tour.

8:48am, now I am on the bike. Only song that keeps coming thru that I cannot get out of my head.. "I Love LA"... rolling down, imperial highway, with a big nasty red head at my side, santa ana winds blowin from the north, we were born to ride".

10:30am, the bike is going well in spite of the 2o mph winds. The one benefit about being strong on the bike and starting last in the race is all the joy from passing people. I pass a lot of people. Heart rate never goes above 140 and average 133... probably left some in the tank, but wanted to be ready for the run. however at this particular time another unfortunate incident occurs. While opening the pill bottle that contains my electrolyte tabs, I hit a bump and 5 going sailing out of the container. I only planned on 2 extra. Will need to come up with a solution late on the run.

11:30am, 56 miles done on and I get off the bike, reach into those high quality baggies for my shoes and socks, soaking wet. Damn bags. Now the run will be a challenge.

12:30pm, 6.5 miles completed and starting to feel a little tired. Start think about the electrolyte challenge so I make the choice to switch to a liquid beverage at the aid station. It will screw up my bodies 'food source' but solve the electolyte problem. Also, the feet are starting to blister pretty bad and I think a toenail is loose... or at least filled with blood under the nail. Wish I had some advil.

1:28pm, see Cameron and Lesly at the 13.05mile mark... another 0.05 mile to go.... feeling better now.

5hr28min and some change later, made the 5hr30min goal established... realize I need to increase running mileage, brush up on the swim, but please with the result in spite of the weather, water bottle issue, electrolyte dilemma, and wet socks.

It is often asked what you think about with all that time out there? Well, I do a run-thru on the joints and muscles, then nutrition, followed by form... but constantly being grateful for the opportunity to do an event such as this. Everyone has challenges and issues, and when you think that yours is the worst you, come across someone tackling something worse with a brighter smile. It serves as a reminder seeing all these faces, and realizing why I set out on this mission, to be patient and kind because you never know all of someone's story...

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Great report. There is ALWAYS something about dropping some nutrition or something unexpected. No matter how much we prepare.

    ReplyDelete