Backstory

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in the fall of 2008. It was caught early. Aggressive bilateral mastectomy was the choice. My concern was the lack of a cohesive focus to find a cure. I wanted a definitive course, I wanted strong leadership, I wanted to know the solution. So, I did what any normally crazy supportive co-survivor would do... enlisted for an ironman. Donation link is http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=296523&supID=249789425

Monday, September 28, 2009

One bad finger

The water will be my nemisis this ironman.

Rode 100 miles on Saturday for cancer awareness with a group out of Iowa City. Ride originated around Fryetown, IA. Fun ride, easy-pace, good food and nice weather... except for the whole 'getting lost' thing. Made a wrong turn at mile 70-72... ended up with some aggressive hills and visiting Parnell, IA (wasn't on the route). Oh well, felt good and stayed strong. Ended up having to do some cyclocross on a road bike to make it back.

I broke my finger, it has healed all messed up, still very tender, cannot pull with it. Haven't been back in the water. So, every time it aches I think about this upcoming ironman...

"and thru it all we kept the promises we made" - I remember you

No comments:

Post a Comment