Backstory

My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in the fall of 2008. It was caught early. Aggressive bilateral mastectomy was the choice. My concern was the lack of a cohesive focus to find a cure. I wanted a definitive course, I wanted strong leadership, I wanted to know the solution. So, I did what any normally crazy supportive co-survivor would do... enlisted for an ironman. Donation link is http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorreg/donorpledge.asp?ievent=296523&supID=249789425

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Water Part 2

Made the journey back into the water. Actually felt pretty good given...
1. Bad finger, couldn't pull too strongly with the right hand
2. Water in the ears, didn't have the ear-plugs in so I switched to breaststroke from freestyle after 45 seconds
3. Did not wear a swim cap
4. Did not wear a wet-suit
5. Swam indoors at a 25m pool

2.4 mile swim was completed in 1hr25min. This affirmed my hope that I will make the most concerning point of the effort (for me). Also, became an older-man this weekend, the big 4-0. Received a Garmin GPS unit (was my request). This may come in-handy when preparing for this event.

Lesly is away at her breast-cancer meeting tonight. Not at our house this go-around. I am certain they are having a good time, and I look forward to hearing more about it.

It is nice to see the NFL taking a supportive role on breast-cancer awareness. Players clad in Pink is pretty cool, as is the apparel. Make sure to support your team.

"Shells sink, dreams float, life's good on our boat" - Delaney talks to statues

No comments:

Post a Comment